Our membership is comprised of best-in-class content creators, broadcasters, distribution platforms, and the scientists, researchers, and subject-matter experts who are central figures in the projects our community produces. Working together, they bring content that’s both entertaining and informative to mass audiences around the world.
What are the outcomes of collaboration between creative and science communities?
- Improved scientific literacy and increased public engagement, particularly among young people, by making the field of science and scientific concepts more accessible and engaging.
- Advancements in science communication leading to new and effective strategies for communicating scientific ideas, concepts, and calls-to-action to the general public.
- Popularizing science and encouragement of STEM careers: entertaining science-themed programming encourages young people to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields, helping to address the shortage of skilled STEM professionals in many countries.
- Greater understanding science’s impact on society, including the ethical and social implications of scientific advancements.
- Fostering interdisciplinary thinking, leading to new and innovative solutions to help tackle some of the world’s most complex problems.
Where can I validate the importance of creative and science communities working together?
- Research studies: There have been numerous studies that have explored the impact of creative science content on public attitudes towards science, and many have found a positive relationship between exposure to science-themed entertainment and increased scientific literacy and understanding.
- Science communicator organizations: Many organizations such the World Federation of Science Journalists and the American Association for the Advancement of Science advocate for the importance of science communication and engagement, including through entertainment.
- Government initiatives: Many governments around the world have initiated programs to support the production of science-themed entertainment, recognizing its value in promoting scientific literacy and understanding.
How can I support and improve collaboration between science and creative communities?
- Consider an organizational partnership or donation to support the WCSFP and programs such as:
- The Emerging Producers Bursary Program, which provides professional development and career advancement opportunities for a diverse array of beneficiaries
- The Ideas Salon, which supports networking between scientists and content producers looking to bring new information to mass audiences
- Attend the WCSFP and become an active member of the community
- Spread the word about our community and help welcome others
- Collaborate on projects by offering seed grants or investment for films, short content or multimedia project that communicates scientific concepts to the public.
- Volunteer your time and expertise. For example, you could volunteer to host a friend-raising networking event, identify funding opportunities, or provide strategic input to strengthen our impact.
Ready to get involved?
To discuss how you can get involved, or explore a new idea, contact Adam Kirkham, Associate Director of Partnerships at the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers at [email protected].
In recognition of the environmental implications of hosting a large market event, the WCSFP is committed to doing our part to minimize our environmental footprint and impact. Info about the Congress '23 venue and event will be available in July 2023.
Digital vs. Printed Materials: Each year, Congress reduces its printed materials by opting for digital options wherever possible. To aid members in their Congress experience, a limited member guide has been printed with full details and resources available through the Swapcard app and event platform.
Digital Exhibitor Booths: While there are a limited number of exhibitor booths on site, partners have been encouraged to take advantage of our Swapcard app and event platform by sharing resources, promotions and information through digital exhibitor booths.
The Buzzies: Green Impact of the Year Award: Congress celebrates environmental partners in the industry with our annual award for Green Impact of the Year. Each year, the award honours a media organization that has made significant changes to reduce its impact on the environment or shifted public attitudes or policies on the environment.
Conference Venue: The Congress seeks out host venues that operate with an awareness of their impact and who take significant efforts to reduce their carbon footprint through policies and infrastructure improvements. This may include actions around water efficiency, waste management, clean energy sources, engaging local vendors and suppliers, and offering sustainably produced food and beverage menus.
Bring Your Reusable Water Bottles: Stay hydrated at this year's Congress by bringing your own reusable water bottle. Water stations with limited recyclable cups will be available throughout the venue. All members are encouraged to do their part by bringing their own reusable water bottle.
As we continue to plan this year's Congress and future editions, WCSFP will look for additional opportunities to decrease our environmental impact. If you know a partner that would like to help support Congress in green initiatives, please contact conference director Paul Lewis at [email protected].